August 22, 2011

Quiet Night in Jatiwaringin

I always favor the heart than the mind in making a song
Honesty above everything
A smart song is great when you listen to it once in a while, or when you want you ears to be stimulated
by something other-worldy, something cool.
But when you're down in the mellow lane or running angry
I bet you that you won't find yourself listening to music like Autechre, for example
You'd prefer an honest song, not much of an art piece, but a simple honest song that can pump the poetry in your vein
Whatever it is, it's gonna move mountains when it's made with honesty and raw emotion that comes out of it.
It's like comparing the blowing wind to, say a hair dryer.  
It's the real thing for me
And I've been avoiding to make something "smart" because your mind is always going to deceive your feelings.
Cover it up with pretentiousness, ambition, vanity
It corrupts you to the point that you go blind of your own emotion
Don't get me wrong 
I love to listen to something that most of us regard as cool,
A lot of my favourite bands are all the geniuses of the mind
They know how to treat a simple sound into a very complex art piece
But perhaps it's because they can deal with it, and they're obviously capable of doing so
Looking at it from a maker's point of view
I don't know if I'm the kind of person that can juggle between the mind and the heart
And stay honest throughout the whole process
I don't want to be pretentious
And I have no other place to go to express my emotions undistorted

A long time ago I said to a friend of mine that folk musicians have more soul than the actual soul singers
Take Dylan or Sharon Van Etten for example,
They don't need to compose a highly complex arrangement that can only be deciphered by scientists and mad sound engineers
They don't have to blow their veins when they sing
They don't have to reach the 100th octave, and turn it upside down
It's not the olympics
But through simple honesty, they get to you in a very subtle way, 
Catch you off guard and turn you upside down
Effortlessly
And you can't underestimate a thing like that
You can't look down on something that can make you go to war
or die in trying to stop one
As uncool as it sounds, but it's the heart that makes us go places.







That, and the bitter reality that is
or a flood or something :)


- Gilar


No comments:

Post a Comment